- 8 lambs kidneys
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds (roast them in a pan first)
- 1 teaspoons whole peppercorns
- 4 ounces pine nuts
- 1 big handful of washed and chopped fresh coriander
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons garum
- 4 ounces pigs caul (large sausage skins can be used as a substitute)
- Skin the kidneys and then half them. Remove all fat and any fibers.
- Crush the peppercorns and the fennel seeds together with a pestle and mortar.
- Put this mixture together with the pine nuts and the coriander into a blender or food processor and have it all mixed together.
- Spoon the mixture equally into the eight lambs kidneys.
- Close the kidneys up. You can wrap the kidney in pork caul or stuff it in a sausage skin. You can also sew it together, if you know how.
- Heat up the olive oil in a pan and place the kidneys in it. Seal the pan with the lid.
- After a bit, move the kidneys to a oven pan and add the garum. Finish the cooking in a oven set to medium heat.
- Serve as a starter or as a light snack. The kidneys go well with crusty bread and some of the sauce from the oven pan.