- Barley flour
- Warm water
- First, mix a small amount of barley flour with a little bit of warm water. Make it into a small round hill.
- Stab a hole though the center with a knife, about half the total depth of the hill. Mark the hole by making a cross (or an X) on the spot.
- Place the dough on a plate or other safe surface and fill the hole you just made with water.
- Leave it in a warm place for a few days to allow the dough to ferment. Once it's ready, the dough with break open like a overripe fruit.
- Use your new dough to make some bread or pastries!
The ancient Egyptians were the first to use yeast when baking bread. Bread baked with yeast was lighter and tastier than the normal cakes that people used baked. The ancient Egyptians began using yeast from bread and beer about 4,000 years ago.